Premier Skills is a collaborative project between the Barclays Premier League and the British Council that uses football as a way to help young people develop life skills, coaching skills and English language skills.
'Premier Skills Programme has been an eye opening experience for all the coaches and educators in Senegal and I can't thank enough the Senegal Football Federation Association, the British council and Stoke City FC for making this happen in a French speaking country' - Papa Ousseynou Badji, Premier Skills coach
The programme has three components:
- face-to-face training for coaches and referees: experienced, professional coaches and referee trainers from the Premier League and its clubs work with participants and then help them develop their own community-focused football projects
- linking communities: through the Premier League network, participants are link with similar projects in other countries, helping them to build long term partnerships
- English language products for teachers and learners: these materials and learning products include face-to-face training for teachers, school resources and digital content via the the Premier Skills English website.
Since 2009 we have:
- Worked with more than 60 community coaches and 20 referees from across Senegal
- Reached nearly 5,000 young people through various community projects
- Helped thousands of teachers and learners with English language resources.