Teach with the British Council
We are pleased to announce hourly paid teaching opportunities at our teaching centre in Dakar. We are especially interested in suitably qualified teachers, who are available to teach from Monday through to Friday in the mornings.
Our team currently consists of ten hourly paid teachers, and we wish to expand our capacity by creating a pool of additional teachers that can be called upon to help us respond to the needs of our ever-increasing portfolio of clients.
Our customers are individuals, commercial companies, non-governmental organisations and government ministries in francophone West Africa. We teach General English, Business English and English for Specific Purposes to adults of all levels of proficiency; beginners to advanced. In addition to this, we teach Young Learners at Primary and Secondary level.
Teaching takes place either in our teaching centre or off-site on clients' premises.
Our methodology is firmly seated in the Communicative Language Teaching approach with its emphasis on communicative competence. A large portion of class time is devoted to interactive communicative activities and task-based learning. Grammatical awareness is heightened by guided discovery methods where students are led to notice patterns rather than being taught grammatical rules.
OUR CORPORATE POLICIES
We are committed to equality of opportunity and inclusion, and to positive action to promote this. We believe that an Equal Opportunity Policy helps to ensure that there is no unjustified discrimination in the recruitment, retention, training and development of staff on the basis of gender including transgender, marital status (which includes civil partnerships), sexual orientation, religion and belief, political opinion, ethnicity/race, work pattern, age, disability or HIV/AIDS status, socio-economic background, spent convictions, trade union activity or membership, on the basis of having or not having dependants, or any other irrelevant grounds.
Child protection is everybody's responsibility. We recognise that we have a fundamental duty of care towards all children we engage with including a duty to protect them from abuse. We aim to achieve this through compliance with child protection laws in each of the countries we operate and to adhere to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC), 1989 which is the international legal framework which sets out the specific rights of children.
We pay hourly paid teachers an hourly contact rate of 10,000 XOF; this payment includes planning, preparation and assessment duties. Travel expenses incurred for teaching at off-site locations will be reimbursed. Teachers also benefit from access to a huge collection of resources, self-development materials and training opportunities.
You will be responsible for:
- Plan, prepare and deliver high quality English language teaching that meets the needs of different customer groups taking into account individual learning styles, integrating learning technologies into everyday classroom practice to enhance language learning, and completing teaching related duties to specified standards. Teaching might include both adult and young learners. Teachers who have an interest or experience working in corporate training might be deployed to work on related contracts.
- Monitor progress and provide regular feedback to help manage students’ performance throughout the course, and actively promote learner autonomy
- Contribute to the development, evaluation, and improvement of English language courses, materials and related services, in order to meet students’ needs by actively working as a member of the teaching team
- Complete teaching related administrative tasks to specified standardsActively engage in professional development and performance management to ensure quality and high standards in teaching and learning, and maintain British Council’s position at the forefront of best ELT practices
YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
You should have:
- a TEFL qualification e.g. CELTA, DELTA, Trinity Cert. TESOL, CAEM / CAES (Senegal)
- at least two years' post qualification EFL teaching experience.
YOUR SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
You should have demonstrable skills and knowledge in:
· classroom management
· subject knowledge
· course and lesson planning
· understanding your learners
· learning technologies
You should also be a highly proficient user of English (e.g. C2 CEFR / Band 8 IELTS) and a competent user of Microsoft Office software and Microsoft Outlook.
YOUR PERSONAL QUALITIES
· Making it happen - delivering excellent results, achieving challenging goals and developing yourself
· Connecting with others - appreciating the needs and concerns of others
How to apply
If you are interested in applying to join our teacher pool, please follow this link:
The closing date for applications is 25 October 2019.
We will then:
1. If we are satisfied with your qualifications and experience, we will call you to the office for an interview and arrange for a lesson observation and feedback.
2. Ask you to teach a lesson which will be observed by two teachers.
3. If we are satisfied with your teaching, we will put you on our list of pool teachers - following satisfactory references and administrative checks.
4. We will contact you when suitable teaching opportunities arise.
1. Due to high levels of interest we can only respond to candidates we wish to shortlist and interview.
2. We cannot guarantee being able to offer you any work as availability of work is dependent on demand from our clients.